Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blast from the past




Today whilst cleaning, I unearthed a number of poems hidden in the bottom of my drawers. Back in high school, I was an aspiring poet/ writer/ journalist/ novelist/ playwright... The idea is quite laughable now given how little I actually write or read nowadays... In year 9, we had to do a portfolio to represent a year's work, I decided to do a poetry anthology on: 'love'... (Though, I do have to commend my 15 year old self on the attempts to employ all the poetry techniques we have been taught) To be quite honest, what would a  naive who's hardly seen the world, never been in love, know? Probably everything she's gathered from all the chick-lit fiction, romantic comedies, love dramas, Sweet Valley High books...The melodrama, naivety and ignorance of youth...

My favourites from the collection:

Love Is A Red Rose

Love is a red, red rose
Newly sprung from winter's grounds.
An innocent and alluring beauty,
That soon withers to brown.


Tale of Love and I

Saintly whispers of holy men
Echo through the lonely air.
Light footsteps of slyphides
Compose melodies so rich and fair.

Love had once cradled me
And revealed his wonders of joy
His promise of staying true
To me, was nothing but a lie.

Leaves of gold and red waltz
With its graceful partner.
The field is a scarlet gown
Woven by the season's spin.

Love had left me all alone
And stripped me of everything.
All I ever wanted him to do
Was to love me as his own.

Flying through the hazy weather,
Chirping birds of grey and brown.
The breeze carries the birds' farewell
Bidding, 'North is where we'll be found'.

Love was a careless child,
Who promised me the 'world'.
He grew tired of his toy
And gave me nothing but woe.

As the Snow Queen makes her entrance
The weeping plants wither and die.
The bitter cold follow their mistress,
And all Nature can do is, bid 'goodbye'.

Love said 'I love you'
Three words too often abused.
I was hypnotised by his beauty
And there was nothing I could do.

Snow falls from the heavenly skies
As her token to mankind.
They fondle it with pleasure and delight
But she did so, to be preserved in time.

Love was my gallant, handsome hero
Who rescued me from loneliness' arms
But by doing so, he threw me
Into the world of isolation

Birds rejoicing and buds in full bloom.
The golden chariot glides across the sky,
Fervour is a common scent amongst all
As Summer is passing by.

Love had once been mine
But vagabonded into the vastness
Where he shall forever be lost
In the sea of memories of mine

Seasons whisper about the
Tragic tale of Love and I.
Two young loves of pure caprice,
Gossiped about by the seasons passing by.



No comments:

Post a Comment