Monday, March 5, 2012

Not such a glamourous topic: Drain Flies

Drain Flies

Drain fly

Also commonly known as the moth fly, sewage gnat, psychod fly or filter fly. Commonly breeds in moist grounds with organic matter. Typically found in the sides of drains, overflow pipes, sewage disposal beds, septic tanks and moist compost. They breed on the gelatinous material (consisting of hair, whatever content that flows in the pipes) on the sides of the drains. Though, they are not dangerous, they are damn annoying...

 Upon my return to home from my rural term, I was greeted with a plague of these flies on the walls, mirror and smooth surfaces in the house... (Perhaps, a slight exaggeration on my behalf) We tried spraying insecticides which killed the visible flies but they returned with vengeance within the next week. Next, we tried pest bombs. Same problem. Then I began doing a bit of detective work and uncovered the identity of this unwelcomed intruder into my house.

Note: this isn't the plague of drain flies...


There are a number of solutions to get rid of these pests:
  • call the plumber to clean all the drains
  • drain gel
  • organic solution which consists of: dumping 1/2 cup salt down the drain, then dump 1/2 cup baking soda down on top of it. Follow that with 1 cup of plain white vinegar. Allow this concoction to sit overnight, and flush it all down with boiling water in the morning.
Unfortunately, I am not this kawaii...

And the mission begins....

4 comments:

  1. thats to many fly. hope they go away in better place to live... anyway, they are still look cute but we don't need them around in the house, might everyone scared bugs. hope also not dangerous... take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are true.... it's getting to the point where it's just too much... thanks for ur well wishes! you take care as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find Drain Fly Control products at Pest Mall. Learn how to get rid of Drain Flies using drain gels, traps and sprays. Rely on us for all your Drain Fly Removal needs.
    pestmall.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like my drain flies. I have had a colony in my apartment now for over 5 years. I just discovered that Rhodiola can extend their lifespan, once I figure out how to feed it to them..

    ReplyDelete