Saturday, January 21, 2012

Song of the day



Aqua- Barbie Girl.

They say she's the anti-feminist. They say she perpetuates unattainable standards. They say she's too perfect to exist.

As a kid, I had around 20 Barbie dolls in my collection along with the hundreds of outfits, pink barbie house, pink barbie speed boat, pink caravan, pink convertible... I gave most of my Barbie on my 18th birthday as a symbolic farewell to my childhood and youth... The collector dolls I gave them away on my 21st. I really do hope that they are in good hands.

You always read about how Barbie perpetuates negative body image, low self-esteem, eating disorders etc. On a similar tangent, giving girls Baby Born dolls, kitchen sets, cooking sets etc moulds them into Stepford housewives... Quite honestly, I don't agree... I think Barbies  promote creative thinking, role-playing, and social interactivity. Each to their own...

No comments:

Post a Comment