Monday, January 2, 2012

25 THINGS




Out of boredom, I began reading the note on 25 things written back in 09 and realised how much has changed over these past 2 years. Here's a nod to the upcoming year of 2012...


1. ISFJ: I am an ISFJ according to the Myers Briggs personality test. My personality type is 'The Nurturer', described as: 'quiet, unassuming, responsible, loyal, compassionate, kind, caring, patient, controlled orderly outer life, hard worker, perseverant' ... And of course, there are flaws but why dwell on the negatives in life?

2.Helena Rubeinstein was right, 'There's no such thing as an ugly woman, only a lazy one'. I wish I had understood this during my teens, maybe then I wouldn’t have been plagued by demons of self- doubt and poor self-esteem. True beauty is from within, but it can also be enhanced by the helping hand of cosmetics, styling and impeccable grooming… If I only lived by these words….

3.Favourite fragrances: Philosophy's Amazing Grace, Dior's Diorissimo.

4.Book that changed my life: Too Close To The Falls by Catherine Gildiner (memoir of a girl growing up in the 50s, read it when I was highschool) Her mother once told her, 'never learn to cook or type or you'd be requested to do both against your will forever.. For every seam you iron there will be fifty you wish you hadn't bothered doing….' And I lived true to her wise words till uni: where I had to iron work clothes and this year, learn how to cook. In fact, cooking is an essential life skill when away from home. I was literally on the brink of tears during my first placement away from home due to my non-existent culinary skills. Second time around, I learnt how to cook rice ( I can cook rice using a stove pot, but prefer a rice cooker…), stir fries… Heck, I even cooked for others and my cooking is actually edible and will not give you food poisoning… Though, of course, much improvement is needed….

5. Book: Making Faces by Kevin Aucoin. I remember reading it back in high school, I was in awe of his magical makeup skills. I came across it again recently and his words resonated deeply, ' They say normally only 10 percent of the human brain is ever used. I believe this is often true of our hearts and spirits as well. I believe that we are here on this planet to make the most of what we've got and who we are, and contribute to the world so it's a little better when we leave it. I'm not saying that putting on makeup will change the world or even your life, but it can be a first step in learning things about yourself you may never have discovered otherwise'.


6. Favourite colour: Red. Favourite nail polish: Revlon's Valentino, Blackberry. Favourite lipstick: Givenchy's Oriental Red. Favourite dress: Zara red number.

7. I have realised that dogs are truly lovable creatures- if they like you, they are friendly, loyal, good companions. My fear of dog stems from this incident as a kid: I was in this nursing home which had this fat Labrador ( fat because it probably feasted on all the food scraps given by nursing home residents, in fact, even the cats there were fat). I wanted to pat it, but it perhaps felt threatened by the invasion of his/her space. The Labrador ended up chasing me around the entire nursing home. I really thought that it was going to bite my ass off… I ended up hiding in one of the nursing home resident's wardrobe for quite a while…

8. Bitchiest moment this year: (on train from Kempsey to Sydney- was sleep deprived, stressed and worried about upcoming exams, did not eat properly for the past month, AC on that particular carriage was not working, I was perspiring like a pig…) Man: So, where are heading to? Me: Sydney. Man: Where abouts in Sydney. Me: Just Sydney. I was so ashamed of myself that I requested to be changed to another carriage. I am sure people were 'tsk, tsk, tsking' at me… I apologise for my improper conduct.


9. First Youtube beauty video watched: Cl2425's Natural Flawless Makeup. This video initiated my obsession with makeup.

10. Favourite Youtube beauty gurus: BeautyQQ, Cl2425, From Head to Toe, IsadoraCheng, AvaLiu, Bubzbeauty, Michelle Phan, Raeview, Beautifymeeh. Favourite beauty blogs: My Womens Stuff, A Touch of Blusher, Ratzilla Cosme, Makeup for Life, Raeviewer, Rouge Deluxe.


11. Alcohol is not an antidote to insomnia. Jotting down all my worries and meditation actually works.


12. Obsessions: Mr Schuester from Glee, Goo Jyun Pyo/ Dao Ming Shi from Boys Before Flowers/ Meteor Garden, Ethan Ruan from Fated to Love You

13. Actually following and enjoying an anime show: Full Metal Alchemist.

14. Songs I will play in my car and sing on top of my lungs when alone: Madonna's Like a Virgin, Human League's Don't You Want Me,  Rocky Horror Show, Eric Carmen's All By Myself, Dolly Parton’s I will always love you, Leo Sayer’s I love you more than I can say, Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, assorted Queen , assorted ABBA  , assorted Bee Gees, assorted Carpenter songs.

15. Mary Kay once said, 'Fake it till you make it'.

16. I had once written a letter to a friend, thanking her for teaching me about life and medicine in general. I wished I had sent it. I held back because I thought it was too 'corny' and 'cheesy'. Now I will never have the chance… I have realised that in life, you should always take the time to appreciate and thank those around you.

17. I find it easier to express myself on paper than in person.

18. It's surprising that people on first encounter, think that I am relatively calm and composed. In fact, I am bit high strung and too easily excitable. You need to look beyond my façade of composure- a turbulent storm of emotions lies beneath

19. Forget the duckling, become the swan.


20. After a long hard day of hospital, there is nothing better than coming home and watching The Simpsons and Futurama. Even after watching the repeats so many times, it never fails to make me laugh…

21. Favourite fairy tale: The Little Mermaid. Hans Christian Anderson's version not Walt Disney's sickly saccharine version. The Mermaid ended up sacrificing her own life in order to save the life of the one she loves… It's so tragically beautiful that it still brings a tear to my eye…

22. Macbeth: Come what come may, Time and the hour runs through the roughest day.

23. Whenever I eat processed packaged meals. I hear the voice of a past housemate in my head: 'That food is bad, Leesa. A healthy body = healthy mind… Everyone can cook. Those who say otherwise are just lazy..' I will learn how to cook properly from now on...


24. 2011- I learnt a lot of things this year including: how to drive manual (sort of), how to swim (sort of), jet ski (though, I have realised that vision impairment and poor co-ordination should not be coupled with such an extreme sport), how to boil rice, how to cook (sort of), what to do if you have been robbed, watch Chinese mandarin dramas without needing subs, the need to be more assertive (don't do passive- aggression- doesn't work), been on a farm (truly an eye-opening experience), gotten over my fears of dogs, gotten over my fear of deep water (I still hate being fully submerged in deep water), drove a header, how beautiful a sunset is (after the rain in Dubbo one day, I went outside and looked up at the skies, it was a beautiful mosaic of yellow, orange and purple, followed by a rainbow…), how precious a weekend sleep-in is , importance of good communication in both your personal and professional life, people are sometimes the result of their circumstances ( judge not lest ye be judged )



25. Goals for the upcoming year: learn how to swim properly, sky dive, pass my exams, be more organised and study and prepare earlier- do not give in to the temptations of procrastination, finding my HOLY GRAIL foundation and concealer, project HIT PAN, live life a bit 'dangerously'- it's nice to sometimes relinquish a bit of control and let pandemonium take over for a while, be more assertive- no more wall flower!, blog more regularly, take cooking lessons or maybe learn how to cook from my mum, learn how to sew and make a garment from scratch- I want to dress like those ladies from Mad Men, learn how to say 'NO!', express my thoughts and emotions more freely- be less reticent, reserved and hesitant , be less impressionable, live life in the moment- carpe diem!, read more books apart from medical textbooks, bake a cake and cookies (I have promised a number of people and they have still been waiting for a number of years), be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment